top of page
Mon, Jul 12|
Meatless Monday Cooking Demo with Nadia
Vietnamese Summer Rolls
Registration is ClosedSee other events
Time & Location
Jul 12, 2021, 7:30 PM EDT
About the Event
Summer Rolls with Tofu
- 1 lb. extra firm tofu
- 8 oz rice vermicelli or maifun noodles
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- 1 cup purple cabbage, very thinly sliced
- 1 cup red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, julienned
- 1 cucumber, thinly sliced strips
- Brown rice paper wrappers
- Optional: cilantro, mint, sprouts, green onions
Peanut Dipping Sauce Ingredients
- ¼ cup creamy natural peanut butter
- ¼ cup unseasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp tamari, reduced salt soy sauce, or coconut aminos
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp chili garlic sauce (optional or start with less if you need less spice)
- 1-3 tbsp water to thin
PEANUT DIPPING SAUCE
- Prepare the peanut dipping sauce. Add all ingredients to a bowl or large jar and whisk until smooth. Adjust seasonings based on taste.
- Add 2 tbsp of the peanut sauce to a separate bowl with 1 tsp to thin it. This will be the marinade for the tofu.
- Remove tofu from the package and drain.
- Slice tofu lengthwise in half.
- Use a tofu press to remove excess water from tofu. I don’t have a tofu press so I use a DIY method:
- Place tofu in a pan. Place another pan on top of the tofu. Place a heavy weight on the top pan and let it rest for at least 10-20 minutes.
- Place your pressed tofu onto a cutting board. Cut into ½-1 inch cubes. Add your tofu marinade and stir until well coated. Add more if needed.
- Heat a nonstick pan or cast-iron skillet on medium heat. Add cubed tofu to the pan. Cook until slightly crispy and brown, stirring, about 8-10 minutes. Set aside and cool.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil for the noodles.
- Add the noodles to boiling water and cook for 2 minutes. Drain in a strainer, and rinse under cold water. Place in a bowl and set aside.
PREPARING THE ROLLS
- Prep your work station.
- Wash, separate lettuce leaves, and dry
- In a large plate or separate bowls, place sliced cabbage, bell pepper, carrots, cucumbers, and any other veggies you are using.
- In a large bowl or pot, add warm water. This will be used to soften the rice paper wrappers during the next step.
- Take your first rice paper wrapper. Place one in the bowl of warm water for a few seconds until it slightly softens.
- Place the softened rice paper on a cutting board. Put half of one romaine leaf in the center of the paper. Add a small amount of rice noodles and the veggies.
- Fold one side of rice paper, then fold in the other side. Then fold in the top and bottom, roll, and seal with your fingers.
- Continue on with your remaining rolls.
- To store and prevent the rolls from drying out, place a slightly damp paper towel on the bottom and top of the rolls.
bottom of page